December 20, 2006

The, er, Most Wonderful Time of the Year

As most of you know, this past week hasn't been that great. Sean's Nan died on the 14th so there has been grief and the stress of settling everything and a funeral on top of an already stressful time of year. It may seem like the worst time of year for this to happen, but as it is, we'll be heading down to Tairua now and it will be a good separation and time for relaxing and hopefully being a bit more at peace.

Ele, the Italian exchange student that Graeme and Anna hosted 3 years ago arrived the morning that Nan passed away. I felt bad that she was thrust into such a difficult situation right away. She has been excellent, however, and we are getting along really well.
Thursday night, I believe it was, Sean, Ele and I went for dinner in the Viaduct at Mexicali Fresh and drove around the city a bit after walking up Queen St. (most all of the stores were closed already at 6ish - I mean, really people, 6?!) After that we went over Ponsonby way to Franklin St. to walk and see the Christmas lights. We got there when it was still a little light outside but by the time we were finished it was fully dark. We got an epic parking spot as well just a block up. It was as easy as it could have been. Beautiful and Christmasy and fun!






this last house was just off Franklin
there was a little band playing jazzy (good jazzy) Christmas music on the porch


Nan's funeral was really nice. There was just a celebrant officiating and Anna and her sister Helen each read something short as did Graeme and Helen's daughters. Ele stood with me as I read what Natalie had written. Everyone held up really well until the end when a bagpiper played "Amazing Grace" as we got up to leave. Anna and Graeme had tea and nibbles back at their house afterwards and Ele and I plated sausage rolls and made tea and coffee. Anna had taken Nan's teacups and saucers out and people had their tea out of them which I thought was a really special touch.


flowers from my family to the Ridlers


And I was able to find a dress to wear which saved me a LOT of day-of stress. I know it sounds petty, but it may have saved me from a meltdown. I made the picture smaller to somehow make up for the sheer tackiness of actually having taken and posted a picture of myself in a dress I bought for a funeral - on the day of the funeral.

Thanks for all your prayers lately. I am really looking forward to seeing my Mom and Dad really soon. I wish I could see all the rest of you as well. Someone should really look into cheap teleportation options. I've finished all the Christmas gift baskets for Accent Tools and they've been handed out. Now all that's left is wrapping a couple of odd presents, packing a bag for the beach and buying a few fondue and cookie ingredients. Aieee. Is that all? Are you sure??? Christmas is, in turns, coming too quickly and not quickly enough.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I would like to say that I like seeing pictures of yourself posted on here! I miss seeing you in person, so it is the next best thing!

I am sorry to hear about Sean´s nan. Please tell him that I am sorry about that and that I will keep him and his family in my prayers! I know that you have been a great help through it all - you are such a giving person, and I am sure that Sean and his family were thankful that you were there at that time.

Six is too early for shops to close. I mean, come on, if they did that in Orange County, we wouldn´t be able to walk off our Pat & Oscar´s breadsticks after dinner!

Have fun with your family!! I know from experience that when you are a long way from home for a long period of time, having your family there can be one of the best things in the world!

Things here in Germany are awesome! I am having a really great time and have made some great new friends. Tomorrow I am flying to Paris to meet up with my sister, and I am excited to see her and share the rest of my trip with her! When we come back, we are going to take the train to Munich and see Dominik, then go to Switzerland to see Stan, Fraenzi, and Katrin and maybe snowboard for a day. I´ll have to fill you in on all the details later!

So, once again, have an awesome awesome awesome time with your family!!! I hope that you had a great Christmas and that you have a happy New Year!!

Much love!

Anonymous said...

Dear Erin
If You could possibly find the words to " This is the air I breathe " I forgot the artist and I can't remember the words, Anyway I'd really appreciate it.

wren said...

This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me

This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me

And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm I'm lost without you

This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me

This is my daily bread
this is my daily bread
your very word spoken to me

And I'm, I'm desperate for you
And I'm, I'm lost without you

And I'm desperate for you
And I'm, I'm lost without you.