December 6, 2007

I guess I need to just jump back into this blog with both feet. You may wonder what spurred this rare entry and honestly, it's because I dropped Sean off at the airport earlier to fly to Christchurch. He's head instructor at Senior Guard School this weekend. What can I say, there's nothing else to do but watch Magnum, P.I., but I'm being unselfish and saving the episodes so we can watch them together. Otherwise I'd have to sit through repeats (which when I think of it, the gesture isn't really that unselfish of me). It doesn't seem to me like there is a lot to say about life right now, and that is perfectly fine with me. After almost two years of change it is nice to just have a normal routine. There are times, however, when I pause and look around only to realize that I am nowhere near Southern California. My inner monologue reads something like, "God, I'm so glad you know what your doing moving me over here, because I still have no idea what the future holds. But thank you." I am more than blessed by my husband and being away from where I grew up. Obviously this doesn't mean I don't miss home. Assuredly I am and will continue to miss family and friends and places, especially around Christmas. It's sometimes exciting and fun and sometimes mentally and emotionally challenging to move into others' traditions when you really like yours. haha. But our first Christmas as marrieds means our first Christmas tree.



And our first budgeted presents. It's funny looking back at last year. There were some bigger spends when there was extra money to spoil each other. I'm not worried about this year, though. As sickening as it may sound, we're just happy to have each other and a great home together and we're not to worried about presents. Buying for OTHERS is a different story, though. It has always been difficult to buy for my family, so this year is no different. Add to that being gone for over 3 months now and who knows what they're hoping to find under the tree.


Thanks for the decorations, Mom and Dad. I know I can always count on you for seasonal decor along with bags of marshmallows, oversized bottles of A1 and Hidden Valley Ranch from Costco. It's nice to be taken care of.

The second annual New Zealand Thanksgiving went well. Turkey was slightly overcooked I think, but it still tasted marvelous, just a couple of hard spots which were easily bypassed during carving. Menu: Turkey, Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potato Whip, Cranberry Jelly, Cornbread Muffins, Dinner Rolls and Pumpkin Pie. Ta Daaaa. I made the muffins and pie the night before after work (I get home at 7:30ish) and was up until around 11. Ha. Mostly waiting for the pie to cook.



The "Thanksgiving Table" long after Thanksgiving was over. It's a half-hearted attempt to recreate the table setting because I forgot to take a proper picture before dinner. Boo, I know. But you can get a basic idea anyway. I found that smaller tablecloth at a hospice shop. $10 and nearly matched my existing tablecloth exactly. I did get some wax on it at dinner. It got into the fibers so I don't know if I can get it out or not. It's not too bad, but it's there. Any tips? I tried ice, but it's well into the weave of the fabric, so it didn't really help. I suppose I could look it up online.

We got a "new" coffee table recently. Sean sanded it down and urethaned the legs and the skirting underneath the top. Unfortunately, the top is MDF veneer, so the bevelled edges show pure fiberboard. And it is obviously not the same (solid) wood as the skirting and legs. We've decided to find as similar a stain as possible to the color of the urethaned wood and stain the top and then urethane it. We'll see how it works out. If it bombs, we'll have to paint at least the top. Who knows. Worth a shot. Anyway, it's sitting in the garage waiting for us (me) to find the right stain and get down to brass tacks. It should (when finished) resemble our dining table in style and (a similar – redder) color.



Well, that's all for now.

Jessica, I can't wait to see you in just over 3 weeks!

Mom, Dad, Tawny, Travis, June and Dan, I love you. WE love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!

Just checked into your blog to see if.... and SURPRISE she's back!

Great tree. And pillows.

In all these years, I've never cooked an entire Thanksgiving meal. Girl, I AM impressed.

It's wonderful to here how well you are doing and how happy you are.

I'm giving you a BIG hug.

Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! An update! I am so happy to hear that things are going well and that you are blessed in your new home. The house looks beautiful from what I can see in the pictures -- I can't wait to see it in person! Thanks for the shoutout. You have no idea how immensely excited I am to see you in three weeks. I am counting down the days. In fact, exactly three weeks from now, I will probably be arriving at the airport and checking in for my flight! I can't believe it is already almost here. I am so excited to go back to New Zealand and especially to see you and Sean again.

By the way -- are there any goodies you would like me to bring from the States?? I don't anticipate filling up my suitcase with my stuff, so let me know what I can fill it up with that you might like.

I miss you!! Much love! Tell Sean and Graeme and Anna hello for me! See you soon!!!! (Sorry if my overuse of exclamation marks is annoying.) :-)