October 4, 2006

so tired. . . and smelly

So, today was Day 1 at Discoverys Learning Centre. (note my disdain for the grammatical error that is 'Discoverys') Yes, that's right, it is only the day after my interview. Imagine how surprised I was to get a call yesterday evening when I was at the grocery store telling me the owner had called asking if I could work at 7:30 this morning. I was a bit shaken because as I'm sure you all know, I like to have time to think and prepare myself for things like A NEW JOB IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. But, in the end (and when I say end I mean when she called back an hour and a half later), I said I would do it. And here I am. Tired. Smelly. Tired. Wondering what I've gotten myself into saying I would work tomorrow at 7 as well.

Some of the kids were darlings. Some terrors. There were good parts and bad parts. I sped over to Sean's work on my half-hour lunch break and walked across the street from his office to a lunch bar, scarfed down a chicken pie and turned around and sped back justintime for my break to be over. And I'm wondering to myself if the 8 hours with demanding, crying, attention and strength sapping "over-twos" is worth the 10 dollars an hour that I'm getting for relief work. I'm pretty sure it would only be 13 if I was working part time, but I really don't know. All I know is that I'm sore and I need a shower.

love.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, don't even get me started on the misuse of "s" in that name. That is a documented pet peeve of mine. Not sure how it is for you but getting used to the pervasive use of military time and "s"s for "z"s. And for those who say "at least you speak the language"... I can only understand every other word they say!

Unknown said...

BTW, don't do anything you don't enjoy... that said also give it time. :) Everything is new and needs a period of adjustment.

Anonymous said...

Dear Erin
I love You : )
I helped Dad pack up his office this afternoon.
I also ran some needed errands today
Tomorrow is Tawny and Trav's fifth wedding anniversary
Time flies }}}}}}
Erin, Each step You take Your Savior goes before You and with His loving hand He leads the way.
I know that He will guide You continually and bless you with peace.
As you minister to these little ones , Let Jesus be in Your eyes, Your voice, Your touch.
His love is equal for the precious and the feisty!!!!
My hope is for You to have a very nice weekend : )
Love and hugs to Sean, His dad and mom, Nan and ,yes, Java too.

He is faithful Who has called us. : )

Love U 2

Anonymous said...

Yay! You got the job! Kids are tiring (I am always exhausted after only two hours of helping in Sunday school at church), but they are blessings as well! I agree with Sharon - give it time, see how it goes, and if in the end (and I don't mean an hour and a half end :-) ) you don't like it, try something else! Your time in New Zealand should be enjoyable and full of discoverys (hehe). One thing that I am sure of, though, is that you are showing endless patience and love with those kids. You are an extremely loving, giving person, and I know that the kids must adore you.

I wonder what the kids think of your accent? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!! What a cute story! OH! ...guess that is actually real, eh? :o)

I've tried to get to your blog a couple of times and it would not connect. Now mysteriously, the connection is back!! Can't wait to read more of the notes and truly hope you are doing well. Our precious Lexie had to be put down last week so it was a rather crummy week! I know she warmed all our hearts as I know you remember her from prior visits. Hope your servant-hood and light shine bright into the precious lives of those children. God has you in a place where you will continue to trust him as all us Torr's know you will. Follow his guidance every day of your life and he'll provide you the desires of your heart. We miss you and continue to pray His richest blessings upon you. Loves to you! - Torr's.